Think, think, think! Check out our list of prompts to help spur critical thinking, grouped into forming an idea, fleshing it out and drawing conclusions. These prompts also work well as story-writing prompts, particularly for non-fiction or scientific writing.
You can also download these so you can have them as a convenient handout to the kids for discussions and writing centers.
Begin an idea:
- In the beginning, I thought . . .
- At first, it made me think . . .
- The thought I have is . . .
- My thoughts about . . . are . . .
- One thing I’m thinking is . . .
- Many people think . . . but I think . . .
- The surprising thing about . . . is . . .
- One question that I have is . . .
Expand an idea:
- In other words . . .
- What I mean is . . .
- This connects to . . .
- Let me explain . . .
- As I say this, I’m realizing . . .
- To add on . . .
- In addition . . .
- The important thing about this is . . .
- An example of this is . . . and this goes with my idea because . . .
- At first I thought . . . now I’m realizing . . .
- This shows . . .
- This is giving me the idea that . . .
- This is similar to . . .
- This proves that . . .
- The reason for this is . . .
- On the other hand . . .
- Another reason is . . .
- Another example of this is . . .
- An answer to this question might be . . .
Make a conclusion:
- All of this shows . . .
- This is incredibly important because . . .
- What I’m really thinking is . . .
- Of everything that I’ve said, what feels most true to me is . . .
- The most meaningful thing to me is . . .
- I used to think …and now I realize . . .
- In conclusion, I think that . . .
- What surprises me about this is . . .
- I see that . . .
- This makes me wonder . . .
- This made me change my mind by . . .