Scholastic has announced that teachers may post readings of books online, as long as you follow their guidelines, explained below.
Popular books included in the Scholastic catalog include:
Scholastic Guidelines for Online Read-Alouds
These are challenging times for all of us and we are particularly sensitive to the needs of children to continue their learning and to reap the many benefits that literature brings them. We at Scholastic are in full support of providing a wide range of online learning activities for kids during this time of school closures. If you haven’t yet, please check out our Scholastic Learn At Home initiative for educators, administrators, and families.
We have been moved by the numerous requests we’ve received from teachers across the country who are trying to address these needs by posting readings of books online for students to access. We want to support you in your efforts and ask that if you choose to read your book online to your students you follow these guidelines:
1. At the beginning of your video, please state that you are presenting your reading “with permission from Scholastic.”
2. Our preference is that you post your reading through your school’s platform or another closed group or platform with limited access for your students. However, we recognize this may not be possible, in which case you may post it through a more publicly accessible platform, such as YouTube.
3. Since we view this as a way to compensate for the closure of schools, please delete your video or disable access by the end of this current school year, no later than June 30, 2020.
4. Please reply to email@example.com with your name, school, city and state, and the title and author/illustrator of the book you intend to read online. By posting a reading, you are agreeing to abide by the above terms.
5. Finally, we would love to follow along with your read-aloud, so please tag Scholastic’s social media handles in any posts affiliated with it!
Twitter: @Scholastic Instagram: @ScholasticInc Facebook: @Scholastic YouTube: @Scholastic
Thank you for all you are doing to help students and their families through this difficult time.Related posts:
– How Can You Battle the Flu? Free Handwashing and Cover Your Cough Posters
– Coronavirus – Important Information
– Coronavirus – Template School Letter
– Coronavirus – Template School Letter – UPDATE
– Scholastic Temporarily Permitting Online Read-Alouds
– Penguin Random House Open License Online Story Time and Classroom Read-Aloud Videos and Live Events
– Macmillan Content Use Guidelines for Teachers, Librarians, and Parents
– Little Brown Guidelines